GlOria palace Hotel
The Hotel Gloria began at a very socially and culturally rich moment of the history of Brazil. By then, Rio de Janeiro stood as the Republic’s capital, and was facing several reformations along its urban and public landscape.
In 1917, the President of the Republic ordered the construction of a hotel that could attend the demand that would be generated by the First Centennial Independence Anniversary, to be celebrated at 1922. The Hotel Gloria was thus inaugurated at 15th of August of the 1922.
The hotel was the first in several areas of the South American region:
- The first building built with reinforced concrete in Brazil;
- The first hotel with bathrooms and telephones in all the 180 initial rooms;
- The most luxurious hotel of Latin America, declared by many specialized media of the period.
THE GLORIA PERIOD
On the decades following its inauguration, the hotel continued to innovate the hospitality sector or Rio de Janeiro:
- One of the first swimming pools in a hotel;
- The first steam sauna;
- The first hotel with an automatic phone billing system;
- The first hotel with meeting room and equipments for video-conferences;
- The first hotel with a heliport.
At the Fifties, the hotel was the favorite point of the high society of Rio de Janeiro. Grand balls occurred every weekend on the hotel’s enormous salons. Ever since its inauguration, the Hotel Gloria was the preferred hotel of several Brazilians Chiefs of State and eminent politicians, due to it’s proximity to the Presidential House, the Senate and the Commons Chamber.
For years to come, the Hotel Gloria continued to enchant for its charm, decoration and strategic geographic position between the domestic airport, downtown city and the Flamengo Park (an area of 10.000m2 for leisure and sports). In 2008, EBX, the holding company of a conglomerate of the mining, oil & gas, energy, logistics and entertainment sector, with the purpose of restoring and returning to the city of Rio de Janeiro this real estate and tourism icon.